When you're a small business swimming in a sea of big fish, one of your best advantages can be your customer service. While large corporations are sending their customers through a maze of automated messages when they have service issues, small business owners have a better chance of providing that one-on-one attention to make a customer feel like more than just a number.
How you treat people, and show them that they are important and their business is valued, may be the one reason a customer decides to give you their business over one of your small competitors as well.
So if you could use some inspiration, then keep reading, as I have compiled a list of some of my favorite quotes about the importance of customer service.
1. "Customer service is not a department, it’s everyone’s job." -Anonymous
2. "If you make customers unhappy in the physical world, they might each tell 6 friends. If you make customers unhappy on the internet, they can each tell 6,000 friends." -Jeff Bezos
3. "The goal as a company is to have customer service that is not just the best but legendary." -Sam Walton
4. "The customer’s perception is your reality." -Kate Zabriskie
5. "Every great business is built on friendship." -JC Penney
6. "Spend a lot of time talking to customers face to face. You’d be amazed how many companies don’t listen to their customers." -Ross Perot
7. "Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." -Donald Porter
8. "Being on par in terms of price and quality only gets you into the game. Service wins the game." -Tony Allesandra
9. "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." -Bill Gates
10. "You’ll never have a product or price advantage again. They can be easily duplicated, but a strong customer service culture can’t be copied." -Jerry Fritz
11. "In the world of Internet Customer Service, it’s important to remember your competitor is only one mouse click away." -Doug Warner
12. "Know what your customers want most and what your company does best. Focus on where those two meet." -Kevin Stirtz
13. "We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better." -Jeff Bezos
14. "Every contact we have with a customer influences whether or not they’ll come back. We have to be great every time or we’ll lose them." -Kevin Stirtz
15. "Here is a simple but powerful rule: always give people more than what they expect to get." -Nelson Boswell
16. "Loyal customers, they don’t just come back, they don’t simply recommend you, they insist that their friends do business with you." -Chip Bell
17. "The purpose of a business is to create a customer who creates customers." -Shiv Singh
18. "Whether you are big or small, you cannot give good customer service if your employees don’t feel good about coming to work." -Martin Oliver
19. "Get closer than ever to your customers. So close that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves." -Steve Jobs
20. "Washrooms will always tell if a company cares about its customers." -Anonymous
Do you have a quote or advice to share about customer service? Feel free to share your comments below.