What is success? Success is a very relative term. The text book definition is “the favorable or prosperous termination of attempts or endeavors; the accomplishment of one’s goals.” We all have different things that we would like to accomplish in our lives, and therefore, success is something that you need to define for yourself.
Many times we equate it to money. Ted Turner once said “Life is a game. Money is how we keep score.” Does that mean that those with the most money are the only successful people? Absolutely not.
For me, success is doing what I want, when I want, where I want, with whom I want, as much as I want. Ok, so Tony Robbins said that, but I feel the exact same way. In other words, success is the ability to spend my life in my own way.
This sounds like selfish thought, but it doesn’t have to be. If you have a family, maybe you want to be able to spend as much time with your children or your spouse without your job telling you when you can and can’t do that. Or maybe you’re single, and want to be able to travel the world whenever you feel like it without having to worry about how much vacation time you have left.
What would make you successful? Is it money? Freedom? A certain job?
Here are 25 quotes about success, in no particular order, from some of the world’s greatest minds.
1. “Success is a pile of failure that you are standing on.” -Dave Ramsey
2. “Success is doing what you want, when you want, where you want, with whom you want, as much as you want.” -Tony Robbins
3. “Most people achieved their greatest successes one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.” -Brian Tracy
4. “Whenever you see a successful business, someone once made a courageous decision.” -Peter Drucker
5. “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.” -Henry Ford
6. “Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” -Og Mandino
7. “Successful people understand that you don’t need to make things complicated.” -Anne McKevitt
8. “There is only one success…to be able to spend your life in your own way.” -Christopher Morley
9. “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don’t quit.” -Conrad Hilton
10. “Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of the surest stepping stones to success.” -Dale Carnegie
11. “Success is the progressive realization of worthwhile goals.” -Dan Miller
12. “Real success is finding your lifework in the work that you love.” -David McCullough
13. “Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration!" -Thomas Edison
14. “The toughest thing about success is that you’ve got to keep on being a success.” -Irving Berlin
15. “Success is neither magical nor mysterious. Success is the natural consequence of consistently applying the basic fundamentals.” -Jim Rohn
16. “If you want to succeed you should strike out on new paths, rather than travel the worn paths of accepted success.” -John D. Rockefeller
17. “The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it’s the same problem you had last year.” -John Foster Dulles
18. “The dictionary is the only place where success comes before work.” -Vince Lombardi
19. “You don’t become enormously successful without encountering and overcoming a number of extremely challenging problems.” -Mark Victor Hansen
20. “The key is not to worry about being successful, but to instead work toward being significant–and the success will naturally follow.” -Oprah Winfrey
21. “Much of the success of life depends upon keeping one’s mind open to opportunity and seizing it when it comes.” -Alice MacDougall
22. “The arrogance of success is to think that what we did yesterday is good enough for tomorrow.” -William Pollard
23. “Success is sweet, and sweeter if long delayed and gotten through many struggles and defeats.” -Amos Bronson Alcott
24. “Timing, perseverance, and ten years of trying will eventually make you look like an overnight success.” -Biz Stone
25. “Success is never final; failure is never fatal.” -Conrad Hilton
Thank you for reading, and please feel free to share other quotes that I may have missed.